5 Tax SECRETS Every Retiree Should Know - Root Financial

During your working years, reducing taxable income often involves a limited set of strategies. However, the landscape dramatically changes in retirement, presenting a unique opportunity to save a substantial amount of money through lesser-known tax secrets. This post explores how strategic tax planning can save you tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement. 

Redefining Retirement Tax Strategies

It’s a common misconception that tax strategies are only reserved for business owners or individuals with substantial net worth. While those groups benefit from various tax strategies, retirees often overlook the significant potential to utilize tax planning to their advantage. With the right approach, you can optimize your tax situation during retirement and potentially enjoy a more financially secure future.

Foundation of Tax Strategies: Standard Deductions

One foundational aspect to consider is the evolution of standard deductions as you age. When you turn 65, your standard deduction increases, allowing you to have more income before your tax obligations begin. For instance, the standard deduction for a single individual under 65 is $13,850, but for someone over 65, it’s $15,350. This increase in deductions can substantially reduce your taxable income, acting as the bedrock for other tax strategies.

Strategy 1: Tax Loss Harvesting and Tax Gain Harvesting

Tax loss harvesting and tax gain harvesting are powerful tactics that can be applied during retirement to manage your investments and reduce tax liability strategically. Tax loss harvesting involves selling investments that have decreased value to offset capital gains and potentially reduce your taxable income. On the other hand, tax gain harvesting involves selling investments at a favorable tax rate, possibly even at a 0% capital gains tax rate, depending on your taxable income.

By skillfully managing your investments and employing these strategies, you can optimize the timing of your gains and losses, ultimately reducing your overall tax bill and ensuring you make the most of your retirement savings.

Strategy 2: Tax Arbitrage

Tax arbitrage is a strategy that takes advantage of the varying tax rates across different income levels. You can optimize your tax situation by strategically planning when you pay taxes. A prime example is Roth conversions, where you intentionally convert a portion of your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. This can be especially advantageous if you believe your tax rate will increase. While it requires paying more taxes upfront, it can result in substantial savings over time.

Strategy 3: Donor-Advised Funds

Charitable giving can also be leveraged as a tax strategy. By bundling multiple years’ worth of charitable contributions into one year, you can potentially itemize deductions and surpass the standard deduction threshold. This can be achieved using a donor-advised fund, which allows you to contribute a larger sum upfront and distribute donations to charities over time. This strategic approach ensures that your charitable efforts are both impactful and tax-efficient.

Strategy 4: Qualified Charitable Distributions

On top of donor-advised funds, at the age of 70 and a half, you can start donating directly from your IRA. The benefit of this is that those donations count against what your required minimum distribution would have been. This means there’s less money you’re taking out and paying taxes on since you’re giving directly from the IRA first.

Strategy 5: Social Security Optimization

The tax treatment of Social Security benefits is another aspect to consider. Up to 85% of your Social Security income might be taxable, leaving at least 15% tax-free. By understanding the nuances of Social Security taxation, you can make informed decisions about when to claim benefits and how to optimize your overall retirement income strategy.

Retirement opens opportunities to optimize your tax situation and secure your financial future. By leveraging tax secrets, you can significantly reduce your tax liability, potentially saving tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your retirement. From strategic investment management to charitable giving and Social Security optimization, each tactic contributes to a comprehensive tax-efficient retirement plan. Remember, it’s never too early to start planning and making informed decisions that will set you on the path to financial prosperity in your golden years.

Need help with your retirement?

Work directly with a licensed financial advisor at Root. Book a no-obligation initial call now so we can show you how we’ve helped hundreds of people just like you build a retirement they love.